Monday 29 December 2014

Tokyo Godfathers (2003)

One of the most complete
 Christmas films ever made.
Funny, emotional, exciting 
and totally charming.













Christmas films have a tendency to be artificial or commercial in nature. This does not necessarily make them bad films, nor should that statement be taken as a condemnation of the genre. However it is undeniable that Christmas films are often confined to a strict formula, not allowed to do anything too daring or new. Tokyo Godfathers does do something new, many things new in fact. It is one of the most complete holiday films I have ever seen, not a single element feels rushed, poorly thought out, or included to conform to a formula. Satoshi Kon went above and beyond all preconceptions for the genre, providing an outstanding comedic-adventure which captures the essence of the season.

The characters of this film are beyond lovable, and stand as perhaps the strongest set of lead characters I have ever seen in a comedy. Gin, Miyuki and Hana are outstandingly well written and voice acted. Each get moments to shine are are beautifully developed throughout the film, becoming far more than their deceptively simple character archetypes at the film's start. Honestly I adored every one of these characters and was totally entranced by their dilemmas and struggles. Some of the best written characters I have seen in possibly any film.

The film is also a triumph in writing. One of the best screenplays I have come across recently, perfectly balanced and paced in every way. I have already mentioned the wonderfully written characters, but the world itself is so wonderfully portrayed in it's own right. Personally, I would recommend that anyone interested in screenwriting watch and dissect this film for it's wonderful effect. It truly is one of the all time great screenplays.

I realise you are probably growing tired of this review as there is little but glowing praise all around, and vague details because I do not want to spoil anything that happens in this masterpiece. Sadly that isn't going to change, because the animation is an achievement on the level of Studio Ghilbli and Makoto Shinkai. The detail, the movement and the colour palette blows my mind. Kon's understanding of movement and emotion is staggering. The atmosphere, character and personality of the animation deserves to be held amongst the greats.

I adore this film, perhaps the greatest Chritsmas film I have ever seen, and one of the best animated films that I have ever seen. More than worthy of the #1 I gave it on my unseen Christmas film list, and  a triumph in so many ways.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review

No comments:

Post a Comment