Saturday 10 January 2015

Tsotsi (2005)

A rough yet magical 
world drama.
A classic worthy
of it's acclaim.












Tsotsi is a strange one. At points in the opening I was scared that this film would be a generic urban crime drama, just with an African world-cinema edge. Competent, but hardly notable. However the film's rough-spun charm and genuine heart quickly changed that, and I was wowed by the film's understated power.

The film's cinematography is very good. It exhibits all the best charms of low budget and passion filled cinema. It's angles are clever and well chosen, the lighting is fantastic (especially during the scenes within Tsotsi's home) and there were few moments which took my breath away. A brief tracking shot of Tsotsi walking in the desert, with the large and dazzling city slowly swinging into the background is burned into my memory in particular. I am currently studying this film as part of my film course, and I look forward to dissecting the cinematography for hours.

The film's acting is also very effective, particularly the lead. Presley Chweneyagae, who has one of the greatest second names in history, is fantastic. He has some of the most emotive and expressive eyes I have ever seen, and I give the writer/director Gavin Hood for keeping much of Tsotsi feelings open to interpretation. Little is outwardly explained, the majority of Tsotsi's character development is done through the actor's wonderful expressions. This is some of the best visual character development I have seen in a while, and the film deserves praise for this aspect in particular.

The supporting actors are also of a very high quality. Jerry Mofokeng gives an extremely entertaining supporting performance I have ever seen, and is responsible for the film's best scene. I would not be surprised if the majority of these actors were not professional, as they gave very natural performances which helped to form the atmosphere of cultural authenticity the film has. It reminded me of some of the other great cultural capsules I have been lucky to see, such as Bicycle Thieves and City of God and I was thoroughly impressed by how the director drew such performances and created this feeling of captured reality onscreen.

Overall, you should understand what this film has to offer. It offers a humble little vision into another culture, via a familiar genre. Many may find that this film is not authentic enough and there are better introductions to African cinema, however as a starting point I find this film to be a more than satisfactory champion for a cultures cinema. A gem of world cinema, and low-key dramas in genre.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review

No comments:

Post a Comment