Wednesday 25 March 2015

Nocturne (1980) [Short Film]


It must be hard to live
inside Lars von Trier's 
head.













I have never seen a film from acclaimed filmmaker Lars von Trier before this short. I decided that It would be best to start at the beginning of his career to truly begin understanding where his work comes from, and so I arrived at this feverish little film.

Nocturne is a brief little journey into the fears and idiosyncrasies of the director, who is clearly a troubled man in many areas (look up interviews with him, he is both hysterically awkward and quiet miserable in many that I have seen). Nocturne visually brings these troubles to life in a surprisingly sophisticated manner. The visuals in this film are remarkably advanced and unique for a student film, creating a horrific and captivating atmosphere and effect. The opening shot in particular is a genuinely horrifying and made me feel uneasy to watch, and from that point the rest of the film is drenched in awkward paranoia.

Overall this film is a powerful shot of creepy uneasiness that has only increased my interest in the director. It is available to watch on Youtube and I highly recommend giving it a try, it's only eight minutes long after all.

By Jack D. Phillips
A Zoom Film Review

No comments:

Post a Comment